In his biography of Pope Francis, Austen Ivreigh recounts then Cardinal Bergoglio’s experience of praying with Saint John Paul:
“One afternoon I went to pray the Holy Rosary that the Holy Father was leading. He was in front of us on his knees. With the Holy Father’s back to me, I entered into prayer. In the middle of the prayer, I became distracted looking at the pope, and time began to fade away. I began to imagine the young priest, the seminarian, the poet, the worker, the child from Wadowice in exactly the same posture as he was now, praying Hail Mary after Hail Mary. His witness struck me. I felt this man, chosen to guide the Church, was the summation of a path trod together with his Mother in heaven, a path that began in his childhood. And I suddenly realized the weight of the words spoken by the Mother of Guadalupe to Saint Juan Diego, “Do not be afraid. Am I not your mother?” I grasped the presence of Mary in the pope’s life. His witness did not get lost in memory. From that time onward I have prayed the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary every day. “
The Joyful Mysteries
- The Annunciation Mary learns that she has been chosen to be the mother of Jesus.
- The Visitation Mary visits Elizabeth, who tells her that she will always be remembered.
- The Nativity Jesus is born in a stable in Bethlehem.
- The Presentation Mary and Joseph take the infant Jesus to the Temple to present him to God.
- The Finding of Jesus in the Temple Jesus is found in the Temple discussing his faith with the teachers.
There is a site for praying the Rosary below or go to MY PRAYERBOOK on the parish website
5. Announce the First Mystery; then say the “Our Father.”
6. Say ten “Hail Marys,” while meditating on the Mystery.
7. Say the “Glory be to the Father.” After each decade say the following prayer requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima: “O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.”
8. Announce the Second Mystery: then say the “Our Father.” Repeat 6 and 7 and continue with the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Mysteries in the same manner.
9. Say the ‘Hail, Holy Queen‘ on the medal after the five decades are completed.