DIOCESE OF MEATH
DIRECTOR OF FAITH DEVELOPMENT
5 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT
The Diocese of Meath is a Catholic community of sixty-nine parishes divided into eight regional deaneries living and working together in service of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Its geographical area comprises counties Meath and Westmeath, the greater part of County Offaly, one parish in County Louth and two parishes in County Cavan.
The Diocese is seeking to recruit for the role of Director of Faith Development in the Diocese of Meath.
It is an exciting and challenging opportunity in the life and mission of the Diocese. The post holder
will be required to lead and work under their own initiative as well as work as part of a team to develop
and implement new approaches, resources and programmes to adult faith formation, sacramental
preparation, and evangelisation in parishes across the diocese.
The terms are based on a 5-year Fixed Term Contract, working 35 hours per week, work pattern to be agreed.
Salary: Will be considered within the range of €40,000-€42,500 gross per annum – commensurate upon experience and qualifications.
Full details relating to the vacancy can be found on the Diocesan Website at: www.dioceseofmeath.ie
clicking on the tab job vacancy where terms and conditions and application form relating to the role
can also be accessed.
Applications are welcome from anyone who feels they meet the criteria as presented and are interested
in playing an active role in faith development in the Diocese of Meath.
Closing date for applications will be 5pm on Friday 26th May 2023.
The Diocese of Meath is a registered charity CHY 7230
Diocese of Meath
DIRECTOR OF FAITH DEVELOPMENT
(Five-year fixed-term fulltime contract)
The principal duty of all employees is to assist in the mission of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Meath under the direction of the bishop. This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Director of Faith Development, but, instead, offer a framework for prospective candidates.
The key responsibilities will be to develop and manage the Faith Development Strategy for the Diocese of Meath that embraces faith formation as a lifelong experience.
Essential Requirements for the Post
• A relevant qualification in Catechetics/Religious Education/Theology/Leadership and/or Pastoral Care/Youth Ministry, preferably at Post Graduate level.
• A familiarity with current directions in pastoral ministry and mission of the Church, especially in the area of pastoral, catechetical, liturgical, and adult faith formation.
• Excellent pastoral, interpersonal, organisational and communications skills to work closely with a broad range of stakeholders.
• Relevant experience of working collaboratively in a church/parish context.
• Ability in writing reports, policies, and briefing documents.
• High levels of personal motivation, self-management, and attention to detail.
• Strong IT skills and an ability to present data in a range of formats and to various age-specific audiences.
• An ability to review, evaluate and develop long and short-range goals and objectives.
•A full clean Driving Licence and access to own transport.
•Garda vetting will apply in respect of this position.
Functions of the Post
• To develop new approaches, resources and programmes for adult faith formation and sacramental preparation in parishes.
• To provide opportunities for formation of lay ministries.
• To assist the formation of parents as primary evangelists and catechists of their children.
• Creatively design liturgical and age-appropriate catechetical resources.
• Identify and oversee opportunities for catechist formation according to diocesan policies.
• The ability to work collaboratively with a variety of individuals and groups
working in sacramental preparation, pastoral renewal and adult faith development.
• Resource the ministry of priests in the delivery of sacramental preparation and
adult faith development initiatives.
• Network with other Diocesan Directors for Faith Development, Council for Catechetics etc.
• Provide regular reports to the Bishop of Meath and others as required.
• Contribute to the formation and review of the Diocesan Pastoral Plan.
• Competency in the use of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Maintain appropriate records including data base and other information dealing with faith formation while respecting GDPR.
• The nature of the position requires flexibility and adaptability to change as the
duties may vary from time to time. The Employer reserves the right to require the employee to undertake duties within his/her capabilities which are not necessarily recorded in the initial job description.
Special Requirements for the Post
The person appointed to the position should:
•Be willing to work flexible hours and engage in a significant amount of travel in support of training and meetings. There may be occasional overnight commitments.
•Be an active member of the Catholic Church.
•Have respect for the teachings of the Catholic Church.
•The appointed person will assume an ex officio position on the Diocesan Pastoral Assembly.
•Understand the partnership of family, parish community and catechists as essential co-workers in the catechetical process.
•Maintain appropriate records including data base and other information dealing with faith formation while respecting GPDR.
•To be able to work within a budget in the provision of resources, training, etc.,
and to be accountable for all expenditure.
Location: Diocesan Office, Dublin Rd., Mullingar with extensive travel throughout the Diocese.
Terms & Conditions of Employment: This is a full-time, 5-year fixed term contract. Salary is commensurate with experience. Candidates will be selected following an interview process.
The position is based on a 35-hour working week. Normal office hours are 9.00am-5.00pm; however, the nature of the role requires the post holder to work in a flexible manner and be available for regular evening and weekend work.
The position will be subject to a probation period which will be regularly reviewed during your employment.
Continuous Professional Development: The person appointed should continue his/her own formation in catechesis through participation in meetings, workshops, conferences, and retreats.
Safeguarding & Data Protection: The person appointed should have a clear understanding and knowledge of Safeguarding/Data Protection principles and procedures.